Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

On the Fifth Day of Christmas...

On the fifth day of Christmas...I watched Les Miserables.

Wow.....where to start? It was amazingly beautiful.

I seriously had my doubts about it. To be honest, I'm not at all a fan of musicals. And I was afraid they might have butchered the story. But, I was very pleasantly surprised!

The clearly Christian messages of faith, redemption, forgiveness, and love are very strongly portrayed throughout the movie through beautiful, almost haunting, songs - many of them, actually, prayers. The classic and powerful story was so masterfully brought to life in the characters, and music, and script: from the heart wrenching Fantine, to the pathetic plight of Inspector Javert, to Jean Valjean, himself. And all the many others; endearing - and not so endearing - as well. The film shows (very painfully, and disturbingly, at times) a world of evil, and wretchedness, and sin. There were definitely some very disturbing, crude parts in the movie. But I do think that there is a point that's being made through showing all that depravity: when the people turn their backs on God, it's horribly vile and ugly. Because without Him, we are dead in our sins. And unable to do any good.

And at the same time, the film contrasts, with all that ugliness, the true and simple strength of forgiveness, mercy, purity, and love. That's a powerful concept. And it was a powerful film.

And, so, then we left the theatre, went home, and I made a batch of mincemeat cookies...because, well, they make me feel Christmasy :)

~allie


"Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light
For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.
They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord."

(Do You Hear the People Sing?)

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately my parents wouldn't let me go see Les Mis--But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)