Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Prone To Wander. . . .

Robert Robinson was born in Norfolk England in 1735. His parents were poor, barely making ends meet. And when Robert was eight years old, his father died.

When Robert was fourteen, and old enough to become an apprentice, his mother sent him to London. She wanted him to learn a trade --- to become a barber.

Instead of focusing on his work, and trying to learn a good trade, so that he would be able to support his mother, Robert instead joined a gang of corrupt young hoodlums. They traipsed about at all hours of the night, drinking and partying and doing whatever they could, to cause trouble. One day, while they were drunk, Robert and his gang saw that the Methodists were holding a prayer meeting. The boys decided to head on over. It would be great fun, they thought, to mock the stupid preacher and all those goody-goody Christians. They stumbled into the crowd and hurled jeering taunts into the air. But Robert couldn't help hearing the words of the minister --- George Whitefield was his name. The man preached about the righteous wrath of a holy God. He said that every one in the world deserved to go to Hell, no matter how "good" they were. And that they would go to Hell without the cleansing blood of the innocent One who offered to take the punishment on his own shoulders. Robert was terrified. Whitefield's words tormented his soul, long after he and his cronies had left the meeting. For three long years, Robert lived in mortal fear of a just God who declared, "Vengeance is mine. I will repay." All of his depravity, all the terrible things he had done, flashed before him again and again. And he knew there was no going back, no erasing his wickedness.

Then it was that he prayed for a Savior and take that heavy burden of guilt away; to wash away the sin with his blood. A great peace entered him; peace that he had never felt before in his life. Shortly after his conversion, Robert became a Calvinist minister. And he wrote the beautiful words of  'Come Thou Font of Every Blessing.' 

Tragically the third stanza of his hymn came true in his own life:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, 
Prone to leave the God I love;
Robert fell away from his faith, and he returned to his sin and guilt and misery. His life was full of depravity once again. He had gone back to exactly the way things had been before. Only now, it was worse. He had tasted true contentment in Christ. . . and he had thrown it away. 

One afternoon, years later, while riding in a stagecoach, Robert heard a lady joyfully humming the tune of a hymn. 
"Do you know this hymn, sir?" she turned and asked Robert. "It has been such an immense blessing in my life. I don't know of another that has spoken so strongly to me, as this one." 
Robert slowly raised his eyes to meet hers. "Madam," he said. "I am the poor unhappy man who wrote that hymn many years ago, and I would give a thousand worlds, if I had them, to enjoy the feelings I had then." 

But Robert did not die dead in his sins. God used that chance encounter with a lady in a stagecoach to bring his wandering child back to fellowship in Him. Through her words, God reminded Robert of the living Gospel --- the Good News. The Shepherd drew His lost and stubborn lamb back into the fold, where he could be at rest beside "streams of mercy never ceasing." 






Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.


PS - I was told (by anonymous sources ;)) that I should update my blog background.....so I did :P. I was getting rather tired of that same old picture. But not sure if i'm happy with this one, either, haha. So dont be surprised if my background changes again, quite soon. I'll just have been experimenting with it. Someday, hopefully, I'll really update it and make it much more professional-looking :). Someday.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Allie! I really like this song :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marta! So do I. It's one of my favorites :)

      Delete

Comments make my day :)