Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sometimes, words are not enough. . . You have to show what you feel. But then again, there's times when nothing you say, or do, is really enough. And all you can do is say thanks and show thanks. And hope they know how much you really mean it.

This is one of those times, and as I sat down to write this, I knew, clearer than I ever have before, that words on a page, or rather, a computer screen, no matter how many or eloquent they are, can't even begin to to thank my mom for all she's done for me.

I could keep on writing, and keep on listing, for as long as I wanted, but I would never be able to put it all down. Because, in short, she has given herself; She's given her life as something to be used up by us. And there's been so many days when I have completely taken all of that grace for granted. So many times, I have shoved her sacrifices back into her face. A mother has to be an incredibly strong woman to keep on loving through all the sin.

No greater love. 

Our culture tells us that love is a feeling; an emotion. But I've seen, and felt, emotions come, and then go again, many times every day. And I know for a fact, that emotions are not what makes a mother kiss her daughter forgiven after she has disobeyed over and over and over again. Emotions are not 
what make patience. Emotions are not what keeps a mother so faithful to her child, that she dedicates entire decades of her life to making sure that he starts out right, and keeps going right. 

The emotion-only kind of love is weak and rootless. 

I've realized more and more how much my mom truly loves us --- in spite of our sin....and in spite of her sin. And I've realized that loving is not passive. As C.S. Lewis once said, we have to act as if we loved someone, instead of just wondering if we do. "When you are behaving as if you loved someone you will presently come to love him." (Lewis. The Four Loves.)

True love, the kind that acts for the ultimate good of the loved one, "bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Corinthians 13:7).




I don't know how to write down all of my gratitude, so I'll just end this by saying --- Happy Mother's Day to my beautiful, amazing Mom.


I love you right up to the moon and back . . . a hundred times over :)


~allie

1 comment:

  1. I am speechless, Allie. That is beautiful. I just don't feel deserving of such praise.
    You are a gift from God and it has been such a rich blessing to be your mommy for the last 17 years. Words cannot describe how much I love you. Thank you.

    Love,
    Your Mommy

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)