Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

"The modern habit of saying, 'This is my opinion, but I may be wrong,' is entirely irrational. If I say that it may be wrong, I say that it is not my opinion.
The modern habit of saying, 'Every man has a different philosophy; this is my philosophy and it suits me:' the habit of saying this is mere weakmindedness.
A cosmic philosophy is not constructed to fit a man; a cosmic philosophy is constructed to fit a cosmos. A man can no more possess a private religion than he can possess a private sun and moon."

- G.K. Chesterton

2 comments:

  1. Ehhhh kind of disagree. If you don't leave room for the possibility that your opinion may be flawed then wouldn't that be you saying your statement is fact? Which would make it no longer an opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Chesterton was saying was that people should not state something then say, "But you have your truth and I have mine." For when you say this you are under cutting your message. It is weak. We also need to realize that our beliefs are not just our own little
    separate reality. But an explanation of the cosmos. The quote is an anti post modern stab at the pointlessness of saying something and then saying it's just my private truth.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)